[Zope] MySQL Select Statements

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 18:54:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> I recently found out that Oracle returns column names
> converted into all uppercase. I needed about 2 hours
> to analyse this weird behaviour.

That's actually not too weird. Solid does the same thing. It is a standard
"feature" of SQL-89 that column names are case-insensitive and stored as
upper case. You can force it to use mixed-case and spaces by quoting the
column names with quotation marks. Of course, you have to do this when you
CREATE TABLE. i.e.

SELECT "weird but legal" FROM t

selects the column named "weird but legal" from table t.

MySQL, OTOH, is case-sensitive on column names.

--
andy dustman       |     programmer/analyst     |      comstar.net, inc.
telephone: 770.485.6025 / 706.549.7689 | icq: 32922760 | pgp: 0xc72f3f1d