[Zope] too many open files

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 02:45:02 +1000 (EST)

+----[ Ragnar Beer ]---------------------------------------------
| Help!
|
| Zope 2.1.6 refuses to work in the middle of an external method on my
| i386 running under OpenBSD 2.7. Is says:
| ----------------------------------------------------
| OSError
| [Errno 24] Too many open files: '/var/tmp/@6067.265'
| ----------------------------------------------------
|
| I've never ever seen this problem before and this external method
| used to work well until some minutes ago. Now the error keeps
| reappearing even after rebooting and also other external methods that
| used to run well now deliver the same message.
|
| Does anybody have suggestions how to diagnose/cure this problem?

You have several options:-

First type 'unlimit' at your prompt before you start Zope (or in a
shell script).
This should raise your max files from 64 to 800+

You should verfiy this by typing 'limits' at a prompt to see what
the settings are before and after the unlimit.

Next you can increase the MAXUSERS in your kernel conf to something larger
(say over 100) which will increase the maximum number of file descriptors
available and increase the number network buffers availalble (which you
will need for a webserver anyway)

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |