[Zope] NOTICE: issue with database packing in current Zope re leases

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:53:05 -0400

> > Jim found a problem with the algorithm for packing the Zope
> > database that we wanted to announce so that folks can avoid
> > being bitten by it until the fix is out (in b4).
>
> I think this is a candidate for a Hotfix.
>
> 2.2 upgrades could be problematic and I think we might continue
> to see large numbers of 2.1.6 users until all the products run
> happily on it.

Hm - the goal I had for Hotfixes was to address imperative
problems that couldn't really be addressed any other way. I'm
not sure that this _quite_ makes the grade in my opinion (but
I could probably be convinced). For example, a security problem
_demands_ a hotfix-type solution because you can't tell the
crackers out there "dont do that!". In this case, there is
a clear way to avoid the problem that *is* under your control
and a clear way to recover in case you forget :)

I also want to make sure that Hotfix releases instill a sense
of urgency in people - while there are lots of things that
*could* be packaged that way, I worry that doing this when its
not absolutely necessary can cause "hotfix fatigue" where
people might stop paying attention to them over time.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909