[Zope] NOTICE: issue with database packing in current Zope re leases

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 20:36:31 +0200 (CEST)

Brian Lloyd writes:
 > > > Jim found a problem with the algorithm for packing the Zope
 > > > database that we wanted to announce so that folks can avoid
 > > > being bitten by it until the fix is out (in b4).
 > >
 > > I think this is a candidate for a Hotfix.
 > >
 > > 2.2 upgrades could be problematic and I think we might continue
 > > to see large numbers of 2.1.6 users until all the products run
 > > happily on it.
 >
 > Hm - the goal I had for Hotfixes was to address imperative
 > problems that couldn't really be addressed any other way. I'm
 > not sure that this _quite_ makes the grade in my opinion (but
 > I could probably be convinced). For example, a security problem
 > _demands_ a hotfix-type solution because you can't tell the
 > crackers out there "dont do that!". In this case, there is
 > a clear way to avoid the problem that *is* under your control
 > and a clear way to recover in case you forget :)
It definitely is not an issue for me, because my Zope Sites
are still small (I never did pack up to now).

But large Zope sites with lots of temporary objects may need repacking
before they consume too much disk space.

Maybe, a patch would be a compromise.
Sites that need to care can apply the patch. Those that do not,
simply ignore it.
The patch could be announced with the problem report.

Dieter