[Zope] Installed Products

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 14:21:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Tim Cook wrote:
>   So all the really cool, useful stuff is being written in Python
> instead of ZClasses? <g>  Is there a specific reason for this?
> Speed?  Capability?

ZClasses are a relatively recent addition.  Some people swear by them,
some people swear at them.  Actually it seems that in many cases
a combination of python for business logic and ZClasses for
presentation logic/user interface makes the most sense.

Coding in python gives more direct control of the object machinery.
It also definately gives you access to more capabilties than
ZClasses, or even ZClasses + external methods.

Finally, it should be the case that python code executes faster
than equivalent DTML code, since the DTML needs to be intererpreted.
I'm not sure, this might not always be true due to DTML optimizations
and caching; but as with a compiler versus an assember, if you know
enough to do it right I'd think the python would always be faster
<grin>.

If you want a basic intro to python products, check out the Boring Product.

--RDM