[Zope] Long Data Type

Satheesh Babu vsbabu@csoft.net
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:21:08 -0400

I'm using DCOracle compiled with  8.1.5 client on NT4.0.
Oracle SQL has a limitation of around 5K string literal
size, which prevents any manipulation of bigger strings.

One way to do this is to split strings using python/DTML
at this level and then insert one by one - I'm using this for
pure text content.

Another way is to upload strings/text files to a localFS folder,
from which an Oracle PL/SQL procedure loads them into
BLOB columns. Works nicely from Zope and I'm using this
method to even add MSWord documents into Oracle, which
are then indexed using interMedia search.

I'm using stored procedures by creating ZSQL methods like:
begin
  myprocedure();
end;

No problems so far.

HTH
vsbabu@csoft.net http://vsbabu.csoft.net

> Ronnie Sengupta writes:
>  > Can anybody who has succesfully managed to insert text data (greater
than 2k
>  > or 4k) into Oracle 8i 8.1.6 with DCOracle version 1.3.1 please explain
how
>  > it is to be done.
>  >
>  > I have seen several other posts in this mailing list. But nothing
fruitful.
>  >
>  > The same goes for Stored Procedures. Can't get them to work either.

>  >
>  > I am a web developer for a site called www.zdnetindia.com. We are using
Zope