[Zope] PropertySheet Question

Darin Lee leedm@state.mi.us
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:06:21 -0400

Hi everyone,

I want to do something very simple: I have a ZClass propertysheet with an integer property called "views"
Every time I load the page, I would like to increment this value by one, and write it back to the propertysheet.
(Yep, a good old-fashioned access counter)

Sounds easy right?? Well, I can't seem to figure it out. Every time I get a little farther with Zope, something "trivial" like this completely knocks me for a loop and sends me hunting through piles of howto's for hours! argh...how hard can it be??

Got this from the help page (hopefully on the right track)...
manage_changeProperties(self, REQUEST=None, **kw):

However, there is no clear example of how to call without a REQUEST object. I want to increment views, and then write it back to the property sheet. That's all. Do I need to include the asterisks? Do I need to include the keyword "self?" It really doesn't say. Everything I have seen on Zope.org, references the Web context with a REQUEST object.

Coming from the "Perl-CGI" world I can honestly say, Zope *feels* like it should be easier to develop with, but this learning curve is immense!

Thanks for your patience,
Darin Lee (Zope Newbie Extraordinaire)

Darin M. Lee
Analyst / Web Administrator