[Zope] Bi-directional update of Data.fs

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 02:54:13 -0400

If you're doing little or nothing in the way of Python development in
base classes (e.g. you're doing all of your development in the instance
or in ZClasses), you may want to take a look at ZEO
(http://www.zope.org/Products/ZEO).  Setting up the ZEO "storage server"
overseas and using a local Zope client as a sort of object cache might
make the situation bearable and solve your synchronization problem.  ZEO
caches objects until they're invalidated by the storage server, so the
object is read once and can be accessed many times until invalidated
without needing to cross the wire to the storage server.

If you are doing development on Python-based Products, you can still do
this, but it's complicated badly by need to be very careful that the two
installations keep "shared" Python modules (ala Product files)
synchronized as well, as if they get out of sync, one of the two of you
is going to end up with a broken Zope incessantly.  It's not an ideal
setup.

There is no generic diff or merge facility for two arbitrarily modified
Data.fs files.