[Zope] Slow ODBC source

Oleg Broytmann phd@phd.russ.ru
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:12:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jelle Gerbrandy wrote:
> I'm retrieving data from an Access database, on windows 98, via an ODBC
> connection, and my problem is that it is very very slow: retrieving 1 record
> is fast enough, but retrieving 20 records takes 20 seconds, occupies my CPU
> completely and has my harddisk running hard.
>
> I've done a little bit of testing, and the time it takes to retrieve the
> data seems not be related to the complexity of the query or the number of
> records, but to the amount of information retrieved (i.e. retrieving long
> strings takes much longer than small numbers).
>
> Any suggestions?

   Using Win98 for database and WWW? No.

Upgrade!

   win98 => Linux of FreeBSD
   Access => PostgreSQL or MySQL or Interbase
   ODBC DA => corresponding DA

   FreeBSD is pretty stable, but is a bit harder to install and maintain for
novice. Linux is simpler, if you use user-oriented distribution (SuSe,
Caldera, Corel).

   MySQL is superfast, but supports only a limited subset of SQL.
PostgreSQL supports a good deal of complex SQL, but is a bit slow.
Interbase is relatively fast mid-range SQL server.

   All these DBs have Zope Database Adapters.

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd@phd.russ.ru