[Zope] Zope Email (syndication)

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:11:35 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Steve Alexander wrote:

> > If the goal is mail-in content, I'm not sure I understand IMAP to be
> > anything approaching what you want:  IMAP doesn't ACCEPT messages,
> > at least not any of the IMAP servers I've seen, it serves messages
> > up to clients (one of which could be Zope, like WorldPilot does).
>
> IMAP servers don't accept messages for forwarding or delivery. However,
> they do accept messages to be placed in their folders. For example, I
> use Netscape and Cyrus IMAP. When I send out an email, Netscape places a
> copy of the email in a Cyrus IMAP "sent mail" folder.
>
> You could expose the ZODB object tree as IMAP folders and messages. Then
> you would be able to view objects, perhaps with each view of an object
> represented as part of a multi-part MIME message. You'd be able to
> upload new objects by writing them as emails.
>
> I reckon this is quite feasible, and possibly even useful :-)

Alternativly, you could go the otherway. Using PJE's funky rack code
(I believe it will do what we want - havn't had time to look at it yet :-(),
you could expose an IMAP folder as Zope objects. You then never have
to worry about transporting them into Zope, as they will just magically
be available.

About 4th or 5th on my todo list is wrapping Mailman with a Zope
interface (as I need to tie into my existing authentication systems
for moderation and subscription management). It seems a fairly simple
task to use the MailList object directly from python, rewrite the
HTML management screens to DTML. Actually accessing the email message
archive through Zope is not a requirement for the initial version, but it
may tie in with stuff other people are looking at.

--
Stuart Bishop                          Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Senior Systems Alchemist               Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au