[Zope] ZPoPyDA license (was: [Zope] Thread-safe PostgreSQL adaptor?)

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:26:07 +0200

hi,

Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> wrote:

> > This database adapter is released under the GPL Licence.
>
> AFAIK this is the only DA with GPL license.
> Both Zope and python have much freer licenses making GPL probably
> a poor choice if you "aims to replace the current ZPygresql DA".
>
> What is the reason behind GPL'ing it ?

we strongly belive in free software.

> If you you hope to make money selling commercial licences I doubt it will
> work.

absolutely! it will never work! if you go for free software you have to make
money on other things than licenses. that's why we choosed the gpl.

> Many peaople are afraid of contaminating their work with smallish GPL products
> and would rather use inferior but free products.

many people try to *speculate* by using free software without giving
back to the community. imho a license that allows that is a bad license.

the only good reason for changing the license would be Digital Creations
asking us to do so because they want to include ZPoPyDA in one of their
products but don't want to be binded by the gpl. we are using zope and
making money out of it and i don't like if they can't do the same with
out work.

but, for now, both PoPy and ZPoPyDA will remain GPL.

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio