[Zope] [announce] MountedFileStorage product - mount multiple ZODBs.

Anthony Baxter anthony@interlink.com.au
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 01:29:49 +1000

I've bolted together a simple Product which allows you to mount
sub-ZODB's through the zope management interface.

http://www.zope.org/Members/anthony/software/MountedFileStorage/

(it's now up to version 0.01 :)

It _requires_ an up-to-date CVS version of Zope. It won't work on
2.2a1. I'd expect it will work on 2.2, whenever that happens.

Most of the credit for this goes to the guys at DC who did all the
work - but any bugs are probably in my bit, not the bits they did.

Anthony

readme follows:

Created by anthony. Last modified on 2000/06/01.

Ok, so the DC guys have been talking about allowing multiple ZODB
support, but I couldn't see a way to use it. A bit of trawling through
the CVS and I found the guts of a MountedItem object which has now been
removed. Using that as inspiration and a source of pointers, I've bolted
together a really simple Product for mounting multiple ZODB files onto
a Zope installation.

You should also check out the MountedDatabases section of the ZODB Wiki.

First of all, you need to be running a really really recent CVS version
of Zope. 2.2alpha1 isn't good enough. Then install this product (it
unpacks in lib/python/Products/MountedFileStorage).

Sample usage:

cd $zope/var ; cp Data.fs.in nifty.fs

Select Mounted FileStorage from the product add list.

For file put nifty.fs. Leave path blank, and put whee as the id. You've
now got a copy of the default Zope install mounted.

In the same session, add a new Mounted FileStorage, for the Path
put in QuickStart/Outline. Leave id blank. You've now mounted the
QuickStart/Outline folder from the mounted FS as Outline in the current
folder.

WARNING: This is really really untested stuff. It Works For Me. Not
To Be Taken Internally.  Do Not Come Crying To Me If It Breaks Your
Zope Install.

If you want to play with this stuff, you really should back up your
Data.fs first.

Security Issues: There probably are some. I've no idea what they might
be. The product makes a really simple-minded effort to not allow badness
through (any filename with a / or \ in it). Don't give access to the
permission Mount FileStorages to anyone that you don't trust, though. Note
that this includes anyone with Manager role on the system. Note also,
though that you can only mount existing files that are in var/.