[Zope] Proposal for mail-in to Zope

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:56:29 +0100

"Cary O'Brien" <cobrien@Radix.Net> wrote:

>>	- pull mail from a POP or IMAP server. This had the downside that it
>>	  introduced polling into the system (slow) and also required something
>>	  to happen on a schedule, which doesn't happen in Zope yet.
>>

>Here I'd have to disagree.  I would definately include polling of a
>POP box as a way to get mail into the system.

I think what we'll try and do is keep the interfaces clean so that a
POP collector could be implemented, but its not a priority for us at
the moment. I appreciate its important for some people, but I need to
solve a particular problem at the moment.

>Ok, so you could set up fetchmail to poll the pop box and redeliver
>locally, but that is a lot of setup.
>
>And isn't there a ZScheduler that will schedule operations in the
>future?  And there is that nice python pop client interface.

Apparently ZScheduler doesn't work yet.

>  > So:
>>	- Within Exim, use the "pipe" transport to get email for a particular
>>	  host sent to a program on the standard input. If the program called
>>	  returns certain codes then Exim will queue the message and try again.
>>

>I think you can do this with sendmail by putting "|command" in .forward.

Yeah, but I don't think you can have the program return error codes
and have sendmail queue the mail and retry later. We want to avoid
building something that has to store the mail in case Zope is down -
email systems do that perfectly well at the moment. According to the
docs, Exim will queue the mail if the program returns the appropriate
error.

>The nice thing would be have a nice class for storing mail (either
>in the ZODB or an RDBMS), and a couple of ways to feed it (.forward
>with a pipe for sendmail, whatever for exim..).  That way people
>can work with mail no matter how it was dumped into the system.

You could certainly put that on top of what we're going to produce.
We're trying to keep it very generic and call some kind of (DTML)
method, and the world is your oyster from there....

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com