[Zope] Newbie alert! Frustration right off the bat...

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@imeme.net
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:08:03 -0600

Rob Brandt wrote:

> and so it starts...
>
> I'm determined to learn zope for my   next project and can't even get
> past the tutorial.
>
> Using zope v.2.16 on windows.
>
> I get to the part where I create the 1st DTML method (index_html) and
>   zope reports an error:
>
> Error Type: Bad Request
> Error Value: the id index_html is invalid - it is already in use.
>
> This is in a virtually empty system.  I suspect that the problem is in
> initializing the tuturial.  I suspect further that the tutorial text and
> graphic figures don't jibe.

Rob, there is already an index_html object in the folder.  You can just edit
this, I suspect.

> The beginning of the tutorial says to create the ZAcme folder under my
> root installation.  I take this to mean at the main manage entry point,
> rather than my literal root directory (as it says further down the
> page).  When I do this, the ZAcme folder shows up in the workspace but
> the illustrations don't show this.  I continue along and end up getting
> the above error.

Yes, it does mean the root directory of your zope folder.  When you create a new
folder, it has two checkboxes. one of them asks whether you want to create a
public interface:  This is index_html.  Then you go into the directory and edit
the index_html as the tutorial suggests.

> I also tried manually creating folders in my actual root directory (C:\)
> and in the zope directory (C:\Program Files\ZAcme) and I get the above
> error every time.

None of the files inside zope are in your "Real" directories: they're all in one
file called Data.fs , which, if your zope is at ZAcme, may be found at
ZAcme\Data.fs .

Hope this helps,

~
ethan mindlace fremen