[Zope] Big folders

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:19:45 -0600

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> I've been studying SQL this week because I've been thinking that I'll
> probably have to use a RDBMS to develop my site. Ideally and
> philosophically I like ZODB. Mountable ZODBs give me much of what I need
> with the possible exception of a big folder problems.
>
> My databases will have millions of objects in what would/will be single
> table/folders. From what I understand ZODB doesn't currently do big
> folders well.

It's more accurate to say that the current Folder implementation in Zope
does not handle a large number of subobjects well.  As I understand it,
to load any subobject, it must load *all* subobjects from ZODB.  A
"BTreeFolder", which promises to solve part of the problem, is in the
works.

ZODB itself, however, is and always was a great way to store just about
any kind of data.

Shane