[Zope] Re: user contributions to Zope.org (Mangled text)

Stephen Harrison stephen@nipltd.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:11:12 +0100

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> --- In zope@egroups.com, Stephen Harrison <stephen@n...> wrote:
> >Joe Hewitt wrote:
> > >         http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
> >http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists.html
>
> Very cool.
>
> Would it be possible for NIP to include a reply feature like in Egroups?

[snip]

> If NIP can offer a reply-quoted-message, that'll be great.

There are ways that this could be done, unfortunately none of them are
quite as simple as they should be, which means that is is unlikely that
we can find the resources to put on it.

> If it can offer
> membership so I can browse and reply from NIP directly, that'll be even
> better. :)
[snip]

The main problem with membership is that it raises a whole host of
licensing issues which we really don't want to get into.

All the points you have raised are valid and good ideas, but they don't
fit too well with the way we are currently running the archives.  They
are, however, features which would be well suited to a zope
implementation and that is something which may be on the cards at some
point in the future, just not right now (other commitments, workload,
etc.).

The archives as they stand were created with a specific purpose in mind,
to fill a niche in the community.  They tools we chose to do it were
ones which allowed us to meet that need quickly and easily.
Unfortunately, what you are asking for doesn't fit into the original
model too well.

Sorry I could't be more help.

Cheers,
Stephen