[Zope] ZDiscussions Problem

J. Atwood jatwood@bwanazulia.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:56:56 -0400

--============_-1250537476==_ma============

Hey Pete,

Your choices are really Confera (very old), ZDiscussions (semi old
and not supported), ZUBB (pretty new, but may not do what you want),
Squishdot (sounds more what you want) and waiting for the PTK (may or
may not have you want). I can only really talk about ZUBB, though.

ZUBB is used as a object with all the messages in the object. I have
not heard of anyone successfully calling the index_html object from
outside of the folder (nor have I tried). The topic runs in its own
space and can be included as a part site by linking to it. (You can
probably do some counts of messages or other things from outside the
object though). If you are looking to have a discussion follow every
article/person/page Squishdot is your better bet.

At 10:54 AM +1200 6/21/2000, Pete Black wrote:
>First up, i'd like to whine a bit.
>
><WHINE-MODE ON>
>Which product should i use to add a Discussion component to my site?
>
>Confera? ZDConfera? ZDiscussions? ZUBB? Squishdot? PTK? Was the Zope
>'Portal' deliberately designed to obfuscate the choices available
>and their respective pros/cons, as well as to make it practically
>impossible to find useful documentation, or has it just happened
>this way?
>
>I'm just about ready to give up on Zope and go back to hacking Perl,
>because, even though i have to write 10 times as much
>difficult-to-read code to get a job done, at least i know that the
>job is doable, doable in a way that suits me, and that if there is a
>module to do what i want to do, it will be findable and documented
>on CPAN.
>
><WHINE-MODE OFF>
>
>I don't like to whine, and i think Zope promises to be a great
>product, and i am persevering with it because i think it will (once
>i get implemetation out of the way) make me a great intranet. Many
>thanks to the developers, you have, on the whole, done a wonderful
>job.
>
>Anyway, my problem is this:
>
>I have a ZDiscussion set up in a folder (off the root folder) called
>TMLDiscussion.
>
>I want to put the contents of the discussion in the index_html
>method of my root folder.
>
>So, i put the following in my root index_html method:
>
><dtml-with TMLDiscussion>
>
></dtml-with>
>
>(normally there would be code beteen those two tags to output a
>dtml-tree of messages in the TMLDiscussion object)
>
>Even with nothing between the dtml-with tags, i get this error:
>
>Error Type: NameError
>Error Value: r
>
>Whats going on? And how do i display the discussion on my index page?
>
>Thanks for any Help
>
>-Pete

--============_-1250537476==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: [Zope] ZDiscussions
old and not supported), ZUBB (pretty new, but may not do what you
want), Squishdot (sounds more what you want) and waiting for the PTK
(may or may not have you want). I can only really talk about ZUBB,
though.</div>
have not heard of anyone successfully calling the index_html object
from outside of the folder (nor have I tried). The topic runs in its
own space and can be included as a part site by linking to it. (You
can probably do some counts of messages or other things from outside
the object though). If you are looking to have a discussion follow
every article/person/page Squishdot is your better bet.</div>
i'd like to whine a bit.</font></blockquote>
size="-1">&lt;WHINE-MODE ON&gt;<br>
Which product should i use to add a Discussion component to my
site?</font></blockquote>
ZDConfera? ZDiscussions? ZUBB? Squishdot? PTK? Was the Zope 'Portal'
deliberately designed to obfuscate the choices available and their
respective pros/cons, as well as to make it practically impossible to
find useful documentation, or has it just happened this
way?</font></blockquote>
about ready to give up on Zope and go back to hacking Perl, because,
even though i have to write 10 times as much difficult-to-read code
to get a job done, at least i know that the job is doable, doable in
a way that suits me, and that if there is a module to do what i want
to do, it will be findable and documented on CPAN.</font></blockquote>
size="-1">&lt;WHINE-MODE OFF&gt;</font></blockquote>
like to whine, and i think Zope promises to be a great product, and i
am persevering with it because i think it will (once i get
implemetation out of the way) make me a great intranet. Many thanks
to the developers, you have, on the whole, done a wonderful
job.</font></blockquote>
problem is this:</font></blockquote>
ZDiscussion set up in a folder (off the root folder) called
TMLDiscussion.</font></blockquote>
put the contents of the discussion in the index_html method of my
root folder.</font></blockquote>
the following in my root index_html method:</font></blockquote>
size="-1">&lt;dtml-with TMLDiscussion&gt;</font></blockquote>
size="-1">&lt;/dtml-with&gt;</font></blockquote>
there would be code beteen those two tags to output a dtml-tree of
messages in the TMLDiscussion object)</font></blockquote>
nothing between the dtml-with tags, i get this
error:</font></blockquote>
NameError<br>
Error Value: r</font></blockquote>
on? And how do i display the discussion on my index
page?</font></blockquote>
any Help</font></blockquote>
size="-1">-Pete</font></blockquote>