[Zope] Generating products that perform a smart clone of a master site?

Hamish Lawson hamish_lawson@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:22:51 +0100 (BST)

I'm exploring the use of Zope for creating learning environments in
higher education.

One of the requirements is for a tutor to be able to create a mini
site that includes static files along with more active objects like
discussion boards. Furthermore they need to be able to make
different 'instances' of this site for use by different groups, such
that each instance of the site conatins unique instances of any
contained active objects (such as a discussion board).

The obvious approach would be to just copy and paste the folder
containing the master site, but there are a couple of problems with
that: (1) changes to the master site will only be reflected in new
instances of the site, and (2) a lot of static files could be getting
copied each time.

What I think I need to do is to develop a facility that makes a
tutor's site into a product. Instantiating such a generated product
should make a smart clone of the master site, smart in the sense that
only active objects are actually cloned, but static files are shared
among all instances of the site. I suspect that ZClasses might be
involved to achieve this, but are there any issues with the fact that
a master site could contain folders? Furthermore I'd like a tutor to
be able to visit their productised site to update it, without seeing
a lot of alien stuff; changes to the master site should be reflected
in all instances of the site.

Am I on the right lines here? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hamish Lawson
University of St Andrews, Scotland