[Zope] Howto engineer a scientific paper system

Nils Kassube lists@kassube.de
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:45:36 +0200

ChristianThayer@mailandnews.com wrote:

> build on.  What I did not find about LaTeX was a screenshot (isn't it
> a wysiwg enviroment on top of TeX marked-up text) and a content link

No. LaTeX is, simply phrased, a collection of macros and templates
for the TeX system. They include a lot of professional typesetting
and design know-how which is applied dynamically to the document,
so the author of the paper can concentrate on the content, rather
than on the layout. You can still give explicit layout commands,
if you know what you're doing. (Most people imho don't.)

LyX is a document processor for Unix and Win32 building on the
LaTeX/TeX engine which uses a wysiwym approach. It's worth one
or two looks:

    http://www.lyx.org/about/

Yes, there are screenshots =:->

> XML stuff in zope. Which leads me to the later suggestion, I have
> tried out DocBook product, rendering is very slow on my computer.

You could use any of the tools on

    http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/tools/index.html

and then import the exported HTML and PDF documents to your
Zope installations to avoid the speed penalty.

Cheers,
Nils
--
nika@acm.org                       | nika@kassube.de (preferred)