[Zope] Kid clicking and Zope thread deadlock

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:11:33 -0400

> "Kid clicking" is a technical term used in multimedia game programs,
> referring to firing multiple click events quickly. The most
> scary part is
> that under intense clicking, a multi-threaded program would go into
> dead-lock.
>
> I have a Zope application running. When I kid-click on one button, it
> actually locks Zope up. This error does not happen when I run Zope in
> single-thread mode. So, for the bug seems to come from Zope thread
> dead-locking.
>
> <snip>
>
> My Zope is 2.1.6. More info: it happens both with Netscape
> and IE. More
> info: when kid clicking on the webpage, actual requests are
> sent to the Zope
> server, I see from the terminal 4 lines about
>
> 2000-06-30T00:29:43 PROBLEM(100) ZSybaseDA Changed database
> context to
> 'master'.
> Changed database context to 'mydatabase'.
>
> and it then goes into deadlock. Not sure whether it's Sybase or Zope
> problem.

The quick way to determine this: install a fresh Zope without
SybaseDA installed and see if you can reproduce the kid-clicking
behavior.

Another thing potentially to look at: there is problem with
Sybase connections that I have run into before where if you
have a request that runs a transactional query, then a non-
transactional query, then trys another transactional query
you get a hang :(  I don't know if this could be the case
here, but if so you might want to look here for more info:

http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector/1059/view

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909