[Zope] ZCatalog Proximity Search (was: RE: [Zope] ZODB or not ZODB?)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:47:34 +0200 (CEST)

Eric L. Walstad writes:
 > // I use ZCatalog to catalog objects in the file system included into
 > // the Zope world via LocalFS.
 > // Minor patch to LocalFS needed. Everything works with the exception
 > // of proximity searches.
 > Q1 - What is a "proximity search" and when would one be used?
Proximity searches are searches for terms that are near in the
document. ZCatalog uses "..." as near operator.
It implements a proximity search as an "and" search and assigns
the document a relevance that is inverse proportional
to the distance of the term occurrences.

 > Q2 - Where can I find the minor patch you mentioned?  I just searched
 > Zope.org and didn't see it.
URL:http://www.handshake.de/~dieter/pyprojects/zope/near.pat

The patch fixes Zope 2.1.6 ZCatalog's "near" operator.
It will work only for Zope 2.1.6.

ZCatalog is a development hotspot. Lots have changed
in the CVS and for Zope 2.2. Maybe, a patch is no
longer needed for Zope 2.2.

URL:http://www.handshake.de/~dieter/pyprojects/zope/localfs.pat

is the small patch for LocalFS. It gives LocalFS the necessary
infrastructure, that Zope's "find" machinery works for it.
This machinery is also used by ZCatalog.

Dieter