[Zope] Reply To:

Michael Simcich msimcich@accesstools.com
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:21:56 -0800

This may be well hashed for most here but I'm curious about this. I've
noticed that most true mailing lists operate like this zope list, whereas
the lists I subscribe to via services like eGroups perform more like Curtis
would like it. I'm with Curtis on this, it seems much simpler to just send
the reply to the list... if I hit "reply to all" the person I'm responding
to and the others that have particpated in the thread get at least two
copies... one direct and one via the list. I'd have thought that the
multi-copy thing would quite bothersome for most overloaded list-partakers.
Plus the fact that at least some of the time messages must unintentionally
never make it to the list. I can sure live with it the way it is... but can
you give me an idea why "the standard makers" thought the way they did/do?

Thanks

Michael Simcich
AccessTools

-----Original Message-----
From: ucntcme@zope.org [mailto:ucntcme@zope.org]On Behalf Of Bill
Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 6:21 PM
To: Curtis Maloney
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Reply To:

Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Is it at all possible to have this list set reply to?
>
> since problems discussed and solved here are logged for others to search,
> surely it would be best if, by default, replies to these messages came to
the
> list?  I know it's just a little thing, but it still bugs me.
>
> I know that on other lists to which I subscribe this is done.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Can-of-Worms alert!

This is something that has been discussed at length on many forums.
Munging like this is not only counter to the stamdards, it is also a Bad
Idea (tm) on many levels.

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.