[Zope] Advanced DTML Question

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:15:34 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: James W. Howe <jwh@allencreek.com>
> I've tried to do something like you suggested, but it doesn't seem to
> work.  I'm probably not doing things quite correctly.  I've added a
> "getAnchorCharacter" method to my ZClass which correctly answers the
> character I want to use as an anchor.  I've tested this and know that it
> works.  I tried using "<dtml-if sequence-first-getAnchorCharacter> ...",
> but got no result.  Could you explain a bit more about how something like
> "sequence-first-xxx" works?  I haven't found any information on this form
> of a dtml-in variable.  Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your solution.

Check the Grouping Variables subsection of
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/DTML-HTML/DTML.8.html

I did give you the wrong syntax; it's <dtml-if first-getAnchorCharacter>,
with no "sequence-".

> In thinking about this solution, it seems that if I'm inside of a dtml-in
> iterating over entries in a Catalog, the objects known to the "dtml-in"
> aren't instances of my ZClass, but instances of some catalogging wrapper
> for my ZClass.  Therefore, it would seem that my getAnchorCharacter method
> wouldn't be accessible from within the dtml-in, but only from within a
> dtml-with which sets the object to be the object referenced by the catalog
> entry.

I misunderstood you.  The catalog wrapper is the "brain" which needs to have
the getAnchorCharacter method.  But... Suppose you add getAnchorCharacter as
a catalogued meta_type in your Catalog?  I think that would work.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am & digicool