[Zope] recommended db?

John Morton jwm@plain.co.nz
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:39:03 +1300 (NZDT)

Sam Gendler writes:
 > I need record level locking in a database, and I need it quickly, without having
 > a huge learning curve or added cost of administration.  What do folks out there
 > recommend.  Does Postgres allow record level locking?

Yep. In fact it goes quite a bit further:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/user/mvcc.htm

 > I am on a linux platform,
 > and refuse to use any MS products, so don't go there.

It uses a BSD license so it's even more libre/lucre free than MySQL.

 > Additionally, I need to
 > be able to easily export database content as both SQL statements and in some
 > sort of delimited text file format.

Er... do you mean ' I need to be able to easily export database
content using both  SQL statements and dumping to some sort of
delimited text file format.'?

 > I can do the latter with Zope, of course,
 > but it is fairly slow and expensive.  MySQL does all of that nicely, but doesn't
 > have record level locking.

Or transactions, or constraits beyond NOT NULL and UNIQUE, or triggers
or rules, or arrays or a dozen other things you'll wonder how you ever
did without when you where using MySQL :-)

John.