[Zope] Multiple paths to same documents

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:07:54 +0100

From: "Flemming Funch" <ffunch@worldtrans.org>
> I'm new with Zope.
>
> One thing I'm looking for how to do is the effect that one document might
> virtually be stored in multiple folders.
>
> For example, if I keep a hierarchy of folders that is an archive of
> articles, maybe stored chronologically in a folder for each month or
> something like that. But then I also want those same articles to appear in
> other folder hierarchies, categorizing and organizing them in various
ways.
> And I don't just want to put duplicates of the document in there. I'd like
> that if somebody updates the original, the virtual documents in the other
> folders update too.
>
> Is there some obvious DHTML statement or trick I don't know about yet? Or
> Product that does something useful about this? Essentially I'm looking for
> an equivalent to symbolic or hard links to files in a Unix file system.

If you look around at Zope.org, you'll see that most content physically
resides in Member folders. But the same content can also be found through
the Documentation, Products and Reosurces pages.

We use the ZCatalog for this. You can build up pages with searches, thus
allowing multiple views into your content.

We are currently developing a thing called 'Topics', they exploit this
feature in an automated way. You specify a search on them, and they will
thus model a view into your indexed content. This way you can generate pages
with your articles by month, or by topic.

Martijn Pieters