[Zope] Zope + Coda = Client Side Zope?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 23:35:23 -0800

Jack Ungerleider wrote:

> Some of the dsicussions in the Client Side Zope thread got me to thinking about
> an article I read in Linux Journal sometime ago on the Coda file system. As
> luck would have I can't seem to find that issue. Most of the information
> contained in that article (now over a year old) can be found in updated form at
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ .
>
> For those who've not heard of coda its a distributed filesystem that supports a
> variety of the features, including disconnected operation and replication among
> multiple servers, that were mentioned in the previous thread.
>
> I will admit to knowing only the very surface information about coda and throw
> this to the list for anyone who has actually used it. Also do any of the DC
> folks think that a data store centered around a coda type fs would be doable?

Absolutly, but in this case you can just use FileStorage, since coda is
a filesystem.

> I've been intrigued by coda since I first read the article this may be the
> reason to explore further.
>
> Any other thoughts on this?

I attended the Coda session at last year's Linux Expo.  There, the
professor in charge of the project gave a very clear explanation of coda
and how it works.

Useful results with Zope should be immediate, Simply store your Data.fs
file on a filesystem that is replicated by Coda.

There is a more interesting application however, and that is
implementing the actual coda protocols themsleves into a sort of
ReplicatedStorage (I'm not positive if that is the best way to slice the
pie, but it's an idea).  Another idea is to roll a similar or identical
protocol into ZEO, so that not only are Storage Clients and Storage
Server are distributed in a parent/child relationship, but also that
Storage Servers can be distributed in a peer relationship that replicate
each other to provide failover and replication.

Interesting stuff in any case.  I'd really like to hear about someone
who has a success story with Code and Zope using just it's filesystem
capabilities.

-Michel