[Zope] Debugging a Zope Server

Tony Rossignol tony@therossignols.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:35:36 -0700

>we started a new service for our online newspaper, that is served by a Zope
>server. (http://rz-anzeigen.de) We currently experience the problem, that the
>machine serves really well and also during the high traffic times. But
>sometime in the early morning the Zope process crashes. Now I like to know if
>it is possible to get some more specific out from the Zope server when it
>crashes. Can I activate some kind of logging to monitor this, or something
>else that helps me to deal with this? Or is my only option to start the Server
>    form the shell and see what traceback I get?

I've been asking this list the very same question for quite a while.  There
are a few debug How-Tos that may help, but it's all very dependent on you're
configuration as to how much extra work will be necessary.  Can you give me
more details of your configuration?  What are you using for connection, are you
going through Apache, if so using what service (PCGI,FCGI,HTTP_Proxy)?

We have several sites up and running with Zope and have found that when there
is /manage activity occuring during a time of moderate traffic we have frequent
Zope restarts, it can't stay up more than 5-20 minutes.  To date I've found no
reliable method of tracking what is causing these, though I've created a bunch
of monitoring and debuging tools to try.  These tools are not written up yet,
but I'd be happy to send out an explaination if you would like.

It is also very easy to create code that will crash or loop the Zope server,
these are easer to find since usually as soon as the object is called Zope
reacts adversly, crashes, slows, etc.  The problem using logs for this is log
entries are usually written post completion.

Good luck.