[Zope] RFC: Flaws in Structured text

Geir B Hansen Geir B Hansen <geirh@funcom.com>
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:38:36 +0100

on Monday, March 13, 2000 Alexander Staubo wrote :
AS> I would like to outline a few problems, based on
AS> observations of real-world usage, with Structured text.
AS> Comments are appreciated.

AS> As much as I like the format, the current syntax is either
AS> too loose, or the transformation logic too dumb, resulting
AS> in text that does not come out quite as expected. There are
AS> workarounds for all such problems, but authors and editors
AS> aren't aware of them, and continually make the same mistakes
AS> over and over again.

...[snip]

I agree with your points, but what is more important for me,
is that the rendered HTML is syntatically correct

* this is an item

* another item

* a third item

currently renders as :

<ul>
</ul>

which is not very slick.. I'd prefer a forward-compatible
list-rendering format, complying with HTML4.0 and XHTML,
looking like this :

<ul>
<li>this is an item</li>
<li>another item</li>
<li>a third item</li>
</ul>

Anybody who has tried to make Netscape4.x understand CSS
without properly closing tags will understand my point..

--
Geir Bækholt Hansen
web-developer/designer