[Zope] Enhydra anyone?

Ian Sparks Ian Sparks" <isparks@wmute.u-net.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:35:27 -0000

Here is my quick intro to Enydra and why I think it is interesting.

Enhydra (http://enhydra.org)
======

Licence : OpenSource.
Technologies : Java Servlets, XML DOM.

Java-based Enhydra has possibly the most interesting take. It uses
JavaServlets to provide content. You give it your HTML file, marked up with
some extra attribute tags :

<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
  <P ID=Fred></P>  <!-- a Param tag with ID -->
  <P ID=Jim></P>     <!-- another -->
</BODY>

It then turns this HTML into a Java class with all the tagged elements given
getter/setter methods in the class. It compiles the class.

So now if I want to do something with the HTML fragment above I just create
an instance of MyClass and do things like :

  GetElementJim.SetText('My content for Para1');
  GetElementFred.SetText('My content for Para2');

In essence the Class models a XML DOM tree for the HTML put in so you can
now apply DOM methods to it to manipulate the model.

This neat because :

1. It's in compiled (well, as far as Java compiles) code so is quick.
2. DOMs  kick out "compressed" XML content, all redundant spaces CR/LF pairs
are removed.

Enyhdra also pools DB connections to improve performance.

- Ian Sparks.