[Zope] Banner + search engine + Zope

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:54:14 -0700

Chris McDonough wrote:

> No.  We just don't have a banner ad product that does targeting.
> And yes, I would say to go with a non-Zope approach right now unless
> you're willing to put in the time to write an ad targeting and delivery
> system yourself.  We'd love to see such a beast, but done properly its a
> fairly complex and time-consuming undertaking.  We've chosen to
> recommend off the shelf systems for a couple customers rather than
> building our own so far.

I am currently adding this to my BannerClass foundation. I expect to
have this out in the next month or so. As to how well it will work, that
is up in the air at the moment.

<dtml-alert type=semi-vaporware>
"ZBanner System" (or whatever the final name will be) currently is
capable of hit/click tracking, verification of banner validity based
upon time (after, until, or during a date range), a set variable by
management, hitcount, and clickcount (I think that's all of them). It
also has preference capability (ad weighting).

It also supports ad style and type (where style is button, vertical
banner, and horizontal banner; and type is 'integrated', 'remote',
'local').  In the near future it will be able to call ads based upon
keywords passed to it.

So, why is this not yet fully available you ask? The feature I haven't
mentioned yet. Database independance. Basically, I want to get it set up
to where you can store your banners in the ZODB, and RDBMS, localfs,
whatever. So far, I have a good foundation, but need to pin down the API
better. WHen it comes out, I want to include an example implementation
or two. As soon as my test ZServer works properly again, I'll be able to
progress faster.
</dtml-alert>

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread ...

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.