[Zope] document versions

Petr Knapek knapek@knapek.pvt.net
14 Mar 2000 12:02:54 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:08:00 -0800, Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com> said:
Hi Michel and all Zopists,
I would like to open discussion on Version access over FTP. Few weeks
ago I have posted some suggestion on this to Jim Fulton, but no
reaction. I know he is very busy and so maybe here I get any response.
    MP> jessica lee tishmack wrote:
    >>  I know that Zope has the capabality to keep up some sort of
    >> version managament system for zope documents.  I have two
    >> questions concerning this.  One, where might I find some more
    >> info concerning this.  And two, what if I want to use my fav
    >> editor - say vi or pico...but that's another war I don't want to
    >> start ;)...instead of the window that zope provides.  IF the file
    >> already exists in zope, and then I go and make changes in a
    >> separate editor, and upload the file, since I am uploading the
    >> file, will zope keep track of this as just another version of the
    >> same file?  Thanks.

    MP> A lot of this is actually a question of terminology.  It is true
    MP> that Zope keeps previous revisions of objects around.  This is
    MP> how you can 'undo' them.  However, this is somewhat unrelated to
    MP> a Zope 'Version'.  In the case of multiple revisions of an
    MP> object, we call them revisions, not versions.

    MP> A 'Version' is an object that you can join or leave.  When you
    MP> join it, you are given a 'private view' of your entire managment
    MP> session.  Any changes you make will not be shown on the 'public
    MP> view'.  You can leave a version and rejoin it.  You can commit a
    MP> version or discard it.  That pretty much sums it up.

    MP> You do not need to use Versions to get the benefit of previous
    MP> revisions and undo, Zope does this for you out of the box.

    MP> Your question about editors is related to all this.  You can
    MP> edit/add/delete object through HTTP using the managment
    MP> interface, you can also use HTTP POST and GET methods directly,
    MP> WebDAV, or XML-RPC.  All of these methods are based on HTTP
    MP> (some editors work directly with HTTP, or use a protocol
    MP> transported over HTTP like WebDAV).  You can also use FTP.  Any
    MP> changes you make with any of these protocols will cause a new
    MP> revision of an object to be written, meaning that they can all
    MP> be 'undone'.

    MP> FTP however does not work with Zope 'Versions'.  You cannot use
    MP> FTP to upload information in a Version that you have joined
    MP> because FTP has no join/leave/commit/discard semantics.

I would like to open discussion on Version access over FTP. Few weeks
ago I have posted some suggestion on this to Jim Fulton, but no
reaction. I know he is very busy and so maybe here I get any
response. Below, plaese see copy of what I have posted to Jim.

Hi Jim,
I have a problem with versions with FTP. I already read your comment in
mail-list and also made little of traffic on the Zope and Zope-dev
mail-lists. After this, maybe I have a suggestion how to solve the
versioning also over FTP and not only HTTP. This problem arised for me,
when I tried to work with versions edditing my DTML code in Emacs.
        I suggest to be version object a container object. The access to
the version over FTP could be determined in URL. (The ID of version
object, to which I want to make changes, must be a part of
URL. Additioanaly, commands for join/leave, commit .. should be also in
URL, just after the ID version.) This mechanism could allow to work with
versions also over FTP. The classical version management over web
interface in collaboratin with cookies will not be changed, the
mechanism to work with versions also over FTP will be an addition. In
addition, in this way, the other people could see the version
('functionality of version') also over HTTP if they know the version ID
and put it in the URL.
        What do you think about this? If there is any other possibility
to solve my problem, could you inform me?

Thanks in advance,

Could anybody response to this, please.
Petr