[Zope] A Suitable RDBMS?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:03:00 -0800

Daniel Fairs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw a posting today that MySQL was not recommended as an RDBMS for use
> with Zope.

Yeah that was probably me, not to slam MySQL, it's fast, it's free, and
it's stable.  It's lack of transactions however means that you have to
be aware of and live with the possibilty of inconsistent states of data
between MySQL and Zope.

For read only operations, or low-write, or if an external application
handles inserting your data and Zope only reads it, this is not really a
problem.  Also, it's only really manifest if you change the database and
then change something in Zope and an error occours.  If you can isolate
your SQL calls as much as possible, then this shouldn't be a problem.

-Michel