[Zope] Zope and enterprise data access

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:33:18 -0600

"James W. Howe" <jwh@allencreek.com> wrote:

> The company I work for is starting to get more requests for web sites which
> need to have access to enterprise data.  We have several Java people on
> staff and most of these projects are currently being done (or planned to be
> done) using JSP/Servlets and Enterprise Java Beans.  The problem that I
> have with this solution is that there is very little in the way of content
> management available in this environment, without rolling your own.  What I
> would really like to be able to do is build the client interface using
> Zope, so I can easily blend static content, dynamic content and content
> management, with access to enterprise data.  I know that Enterprise Java
> Beans are accessible via CORBA, so theoretically it should be possible to
> access this data through Zope/Python.
>
> My basic question is this, is there anything available (free or otherwise)
> which would make it fairly easy for Zope to interact with something like
> Enterprise Java Beans?  Are other people trying to use Zope in an
> environment where access to enterprise data is important?  If so, are there
> other solutions to this problem?  What I would really like to be able to do
> is use Zope in combination with a DBMS to build smaller systems, but when
> the need arises, I would like to be able to scale things up to allow for
> distributed data object access.
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions or comments on this subject?

I have gone a little bit down the road toward a design for this:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/CosNaming

I also have some hackish code on my local box which exercises a tiny portion of
the design.  The code is too ugly to release, but I do hope to be working on it
over the next few weeks.  There are a couple of other folks on the list
interested in CORBA as well -- I'll CC them in case they have gotten further off
the dime than I have, and would therefore be able to bump your comfort factor up
a bit higher.  Perhaps we should set up another list for this topic?

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com