[Zope] Re: Relationship objects

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:38:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Bernstein <webmaven@lvcm.com>
> Zope needs a new folder in the control panel (call it 'Relationships')
> that contains 'Relationship' objects.
>
> 'Relationship' objects come in two flavors: one-to-many, and
> many-to-many. you define what meta types are allowed on either side of
> the relationship in it. All relationships are bi-directional.

I would add to this that Relationship objects, or rather the unnamed
sub-objects which actually hold the data for individual pairings, should
have properties in their own right.  A relationship (especially many-to-many
type) can have information associated with it which properly belongs to
neither of the related objects, such as 'advance amount' for an Author
relationship.

It isn't clear to me that Relationships is really the right way to do this,
but if someone wanted to code it I'm sure people would try it out.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool & 4-am