[Zope] dtml-echo?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:18:45 -0800

jessica lee tishmack wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply...I tried the helpful suggestions, but can't
> seem to get this to work.
>
> >put this in a dtml document
> > <dtml-var REQUEST>
>
> When I do this, I get the list of variables...however, REQUEST_URI is not
> in the list

Values like this that you are looking for come from the front end web
server.  Most web servers pass a number of these variables into the
environment of a program that they are executing (in this case, Zope).
The specification of what variables gets passed and how is called Common
Gateway Interface (CGI).

REQUEST_URI is not part of the CGI/1.1 (the most recent) spec.  I
suspect you are used to programming in some sort of SSI environment
where REQUEST_URI exists as a convienience for programmers.  I do
believe I recall REQUEST_URI being a variable in Apache.  This
convienience does not exist for Zope because it is not a standard CGI
variable and Apache does not pass it to Zope or any other CGI program.
There is, in fact, probably some other standard variable that does the
exact same thing as REQUEST_URI.

The list of standard variable can be found at:

http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html

-Michel