[Zope] zope_msg.log Message

Tony Rossignol tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:41:55 -0700

Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

> Just to add my two cents:  I've seen these as well, usually connected to
> someone disconnecting from downloading a page mid-way, usually also
> connected to zope going into a really tight 'select (0,1), select (0,1,2),
> select (0,1,2,3), select(0,1,2,3,4), etc loop - until it runs out of fd's
> it's allowed to open, crashes, and needs restarting.  Oh, and only when
> running with FastCGI.

You've seen this before?  Great you're the first person who actually
gives me hope I'm not insane.  We have been running 7 sites from a
single zope install replicated across 3 servers.  Two of the servers
experience frequent Zope restarts (as often as every hour).  The third
server running an older version of Redhat (6.0 I believe) and
glibc-2.0.7-29, and hardly ever restarts.

We are running Redhat 6.1, glibc from rpm glibc-2.1.1.6, python from rpm
python-1.5.2-7 and Apache/1.3.9 mod_fastcgi/2.2.3 and Apache/1.3.11
mod_fastcgi/2.2.3.

> My response so far has been to whack a while : ; do ... done loop around
> the kickoff command in ./start, and run the whole lot under screen -dmS.
> STUPID_LOG_FILE didn't produce anything that was immediately useful to me
> :(

We have even gone as far as to modify FCGIServer.py to produce "debug"
output  to determine which requests go unanswered at the point of
restart; hoping this would lead to some suspect DTML or ExternalMethod
code.  No luck.

> I've just upgraded to 2.1.6, and so far I haven't seen the problem, which
> may or may not be a good sign ;)

We're waiting a bit to upgrade to see how it shakes out w/ SiteAccess
etc.

We've also recently bumped cache *WAY* up, 450,000 items, w/ 5 minute
target max between accesses.  Which has resulted in 200M of memory for
the process.  This appears to have lowered the number of restarts, but
not eliminated them.

In your experience with this problem have you noticed /manage and or
traffic volume to have any impact on the frequency of restarts?  We've
been looking everywhere to determine what may be going wrong, and have
experienced the most restarts when traffic and /manage volumes are up.
We unfortunatly have our most /manage volume within the same timespan as
our heaviest traffic.

Hopefully we can find a solution to this.  Thanks for the feedback.  Let
me know if you make any headway.

tonyr@ep.newtimes.com
Director of Web Technology
New Times, Inc.