[Zope] zope_msg.log Message

Kevin Littlejohn Kevin Littlejohn <darius@connect.com.au>
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:43:48 +1100

>>> Tony Rossignol wrote
> Kevin Littlejohn wrote:
> >
> > Just to add my two cents:  I've seen these as well, usually connected to
> > someone disconnecting from downloading a page mid-way, usually also
> > connected to zope going into a really tight 'select (0,1), select (0,1,2),
> > select (0,1,2,3), select(0,1,2,3,4), etc loop - until it runs out of fd's
> > it's allowed to open, crashes, and needs restarting.  Oh, and only when
> > running with FastCGI.
>
> You've seen this before?  Great you're the first person who actually
> gives me hope I'm not insane.  We have been running 7 sites from a
> single zope install replicated across 3 servers.  Two of the servers
> experience frequent Zope restarts (as often as every hour).  The third
> server running an older version of Redhat (6.0 I believe) and
> glibc-2.0.7-29, and hardly ever restarts.
>
> We are running Redhat 6.1, glibc from rpm glibc-2.1.1.6, python from rpm
> python-1.5.2-7 and Apache/1.3.9 mod_fastcgi/2.2.3 and Apache/1.3.11
> mod_fastcgi/2.2.3.

I'm pretty convinced it's related to glibc version - the fact that a strace
of the process shows it repeatedly opening/selecting over more and more
fd's just before the process goes away suggests some sort of funky error
handling to me - maybe one of the socket handling routines had a change in
what error it produces between glibc versions?  Anyway, I haven't had time
to sit down and properly dig.

> > I've just upgraded to 2.1.6, and so far I haven't seen the problem, which
> > may or may not be a good sign ;)
>
> We're waiting a bit to upgrade to see how it shakes out w/ SiteAccess
> etc.

2.1.6 suffers the same problem.

> In your experience with this problem have you noticed /manage and or
> traffic volume to have any impact on the frequency of restarts?  We've

I can reproduce it instantly with a large enough page - stop the request
mid-way, the closing of the socket to the client while Zope is serving the
page up seems to be what causes it to go into it's loop, then die.

Mondo apologies to the zope crew for not putting this in the collector - I
had hoped to find the actual problem (and maybe a solution) first, but ran
out of time :(

KevinL

Kevin Littlejohn,
Technical Architect, Connect.com.au
Don't let the Govt censor our access to the 'net -
http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/stop.html