[Zope] newbie CGI question

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:09:44 PST

jessica lee tishmack <jlt2970-@sci.tamucc.edu> wrote:
>what about CGI scripts?  Does Zope support them?  Can I use the Zserver
>with these scripts or should I use the other server (with Apache)?
>if this is worth switching, especially if I am going to continue to use
>perl/cgi (if that's even possible)...any suggestions out there?

You will have to use Apache + mod_perl + mod_rewrite + Zope.
This way, you send the CGI requests to the cgi-bin, and the
rest requests to Zope. The details could be somewhat involved. :(

(see the following quote in
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

`` Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is
voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo. ''
-- Brian Moore
bem@news.cmc.net
)

But it is definitely worth it. And I would guess many people
out there actually use this configuration.

I guess it is possible for someone to write some Zope product
for Perl (a la mod_perl), but it would be major engineering to
be fully compatible with Perl. If you don't mind re-launching
the Perl interpreter every single time (I know, it's primitive),
it's easy to execute the perl command from a Zope external method.

For now, the best bet is probably Apache + mod_perl + mod_rewrite +
Zope.

Hung Jung