[Zope] Midgard vs Zope (Was RE: [Zope] PHP vs Zope)

mindlace mindlace@imeme.net
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:18:52 +0000

Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
> How does Zope compare with Midgard?

Midgard is a PHP and MYSQL integration.  Midgard uses MySQL the way Zope
uses ZODB, as well as relying on MySQL for the things that Zope can use
other databases for.  I would assume that Midgard is a logical step for
those coders that are used to making database-driven dynamic web pages
with scripting languages, and is probably intimidating to those that
don't come from that background.

On a brief overview, Midgard seems to want to exert more control over
your approach to content.

[snip questions I can't answer]

> Which features does Zope have that Midgard does not have?

Well... Zope is object oriented, transactional, can interface with a
variety of databases, uses and is written almost entirely in python.
The web-management seems more robust, but I could be out to lunch.

> PS What does "Midgard" mean (I'm italian...)?

Midgard (should be Midgaard or Midgård) is the Norse word for the
material plane, as opposed to Asgård (the realm of the gods).

ethan fremen
--
http://mindlace.net __________________ mindlace@imeme.net
I don't want The Truth but I wouldn't mind a Big Analogy.