[Zope] Midgard vs Zope (Was RE: [Zope] PHP vs Zope)

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:40:18 +0200

Alessandro Bottoni wrote:

> Interesting topic!
>
> How does Zope compare with Midgard?

I quess Zope is more "object-oriented" as it is based on an OO language.

OTOH, said OO language itself has been implemented in OO and non-OO
languages (java and C) ;)

> Which one is more flexible (that is: which one can be used in a wider set of
> cases)?

Don't know

> Which one is easier to learn for the webmaster?

Probably the less flexible one ;) I don't know which.

> Which one is better fit to develop and maintain a complex web site (let's
> say: 10,000 documents and 50,000 pictures, updated weekly)?

There is currently a 2 Gig native (Zope internal) database size limit.
This won't apply when you use external database or sore files in file system.

> Which one is better for web sites that uses database and/or a "fragmented
> document" architecure (XML/SGML documents that are disassembled and
> re-assembled on demand)?

Bot are wll supported on Zope. Dunno about Midgard.

> Which one can better integrate other technologies (web-mail interfaces and
> so on)?

Zope has integrated a lot, so does PHP - you probably find most popular
"other technologies" supported/supportable on both.

> Which one is easier to use for a remote customer, enabled to develop and
> maintain his pages on the server?

Probably Zope (this is a Zope list)

> Which one is better for "workgroup" intranet servers?

The one you know better :-p

> Which one is safer (more anti-hacker)?

I guess they are about the same. The one that will be used more will
eventually be safer due to more eyballing.

Both can be configured to be insecure ;)