[Zope] ANN: ZEO goes Open Source

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:34:06 -0800

Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:

> +----[ Paul Everitt ]---------------------------------------------
> |
> | ZEO (Zope Enterprise Option) turns Zope into a *distributed*
> | transactional object system, allowing people to add processors,
> | machines, and networks to scale their web applications.
>
> What is the current state of ZEO?

Stable and functional.  It is being tested on several projects.

> Is the ZSS replication and fail-over machinery in place yet?

No.  These are very deep issues, especially the replication part.  If
this is important to you, I suggest using a replicated filesystem to
store the final FileStorage file, like Coda or Intermetzo.

While it would be a great idea for there to be failover and replication,
the issues are complex and without more wide spread use we really don't
want to start engineering a solution (one of the reasons we are open
sourcing it...)

-Michel