[Zope] Roles, Local Roles, and so on

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:18:45 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Andrich <oli@rz-online.net>
To: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: donderdag 23 maart 2000 9:39
Subject: [Zope] Roles, Local Roles, and so on

Hi,

I have a question concerning the Role and Local Role system. Well, am I
right
with the observation, that Local Roles are only locally assigned global
roles?
For example I have an user "oandrich" which is globally just a member of
Role
"user" but in /test/users/andrich for example I can assign him a "Manager"
role?

Isn't it possible to get really local roles? What I like to have are roles
that needn't be defined in a global context and which are only available
below
a certain directory and are local to this part of the directory tree.

Some background why I need this. I am developing a problem tracking system,
that is used in my company, but we also of companies that are subproviders
of
us. I like to do the following.

In

    /rz-online

I install the tracking system for us.

In

    /ewr-online

I install the tracking system for one subprovider.

Well, when I have to define global roles I see the roles the ewr-online
admin
defines in my possible list of Roles. And he sees mine. Ok, for me this is
no
problem, but the ewr-online people are a little bit nuts and so this will
certainly confuse them.

Ok, I can do something like adding global roles named like this

    JTS_<id of the folder>_<desired name>

This is easy and fine to do in Zope, but it is ugly. So, is it possible to
get
really local roles?

Bye, Oliver

[RH]Oliver,

the current role system lets you assign roles from a certain object (you can
add them under the security tab).

You could also devise a method or a product that (manually) registers the
roles a user is entitled to (or already has, depending on the situation),
but that could get you turning in circles easily.

Rik