[Zope] Zope hanging: internal ZODB error?

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:49:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> it, therefore, I cannot fix it.  The only thing I can tell you is that
> it has to do with ZClasses that catalog themselves and that it happens
> rarely and that updating your catalog allways fixes it.  I suspect it
> has to do with poorly engineered ZClasses.

What would constitute a poorly engineered ZClass?  I've seen this
problem with a ZClass that is descended from just CatalogAware,
has a few properties, and for which I've rewritten the Add and Edit
methods to call reindex_object.  I'm not sure how I could engineer
this simple class better, but I don't really understand why I have
to rewrite the Add and Edit methods to call reindex_object,
so it could well be that there are improvements that could be made.

In my case, I did not even do an update catalog.  After adding
a few additional objects, the error message went away on its
own.  (I didn't do a catalog update, because if I do that the
meta data for the id field gets completely screwed up, so I stay
well away from catalog update).

I am running under SiteAccess, and I have a sneaking suspicion my
problems orignate there.  I'll be moving the database to a
dedicated server soon and will remove SiteAccess.  If I see the
error again at that point I'll let you know.

--RDM