[Zope] Management interface and DTML Methods vs Documents

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:38:14 -0600

At 12:48 PM 3/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>While I still have the training wheels on, I've been trying to be careful
>to understand the difference between DTML Methods and DTML Documents. I
>thought I was doing OK until I noticed this about the management interface
>(when looking at a folder):

You asked one of the most tricky questions for beginners. If you look in
the mailing list archives you will find the answer, but here my attempt:

I think of DTML Methods as functions that work on the folder they are in.
Think about it this way: A folder is a class, then all DTML Methods are
methods of the class Folder. They contain no properties other than id and
title.
DTML Documents are on the other hand classes as well. So a DTML Document in
Folder is like a subclass of the class Folder. Since DTML Document is a
class, it can contain properties, while DTML Method does not.

Also, if you say: <dtml-var title> the DTML Method will return the title of
the folder, whereby DTML Document will return its own title. That makes
perfectly sense knowing the above definition.

How do I use them? Whenever DTML is called directly from the browser (like
a link, or typed in  URL) I use DTML Documents. Whenever a document or
other object calls DTML from inside I use DTML Methods.

I hope I did not confuse you. Don't take it as a major drawback to not
completely understand the differences. It took me well over a month.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter - (901) 573-3308 - srichter@cbu.edu
CBU - Physics & Chemistry; Framework Web - Web Design & Development