[Zope] suggestions needed (was Zope hosting)

Marco Mariani m.mariani@imola.nettuno.it
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:46:16 +0200

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:19:19PM -0600, Tres Seaver wrote:

> They do not offer "normal" PHP as an option

[...]

> Of course, I also can't think of any reason to use PHP, but that is another
> issue altogether. :)

I can think of one: I wrote my first program in php in some minutes, while
my first zope silliness took me days.

 - BUT -

now I'm in this mailing list so I can flood you with questions.

Please keep in mind that I'm a total newbie, at the moment I know
little more than Nicholas Petreley about Zope. I'm fluent with python
and slow but steady with html.

My first site is for an antique trader (my father): four languages,
lots of photos with descriptions, some search methods, some registered
users, a private addressbook.

There will be an "uploader" interface for my brother, a public and
a "frequent customers" interface. I don't think the Photo product
is stable enough for use, so I'll try and write something by myself.

If I use a "pure" zope provider, do I need to keep the photos on
the ZODB?

Is it possible to write to the file system via an external python
method, so that I can:

 * receive a photo with netscape
 * give it an unique filename
 * write it to the file
 * update the info (filename, descriptions) on a SQL table

 and then

 * reference (from DTML) or delete (from python) the photo by the
   filename stored on the SQL table

 ?

The trouble with Zope is not that it isn't documented, but the
documentation at first makes me fell stupid. I don't know why.

It is like loving a girl you didn't have the chance to talk to.
It makes me feel stupid.

Maybe the fact that I need a 21" to look at my source, and I have to
look at the source of the page returned by the browser to see the
stack trace with my error (when there is a stack trace), has something
to do with the stress I am having during my learning sessions.

Will zopezilla (or mozzope)? enhance my Zope Experience?

Thank you for reading this far.