[Zope] Zope and memory usage

Andrew Lahser andrew@apl-software.com
30 Mar 2000 22:07:10 -0000

Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com> said:

> Tony McDonald <tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk>
>
> > I just ./stop and ./start'ed two Zope servers that were taking up
> > rather a lot of memory;
> >
> >    PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
> >    841 nnle      12  33    0  395M  318M sleep 177:24  0.00% python
> >    834 nnle       9  23    0  531M   14M sleep 101:20  0.00% python
> >
> > Is there any way of telling what objects are taking up this memory -
> > could it be a memory leak in Zope at all? I'm using src-2.1.3 on
> > Solaris because I still use the /REQUEST hint to see what my
> > variables are.
>
> Replying only to the last sentence:  Add a DTMLMethod in the root of your Zope
> (call it maybe "debug_request"), with the following body:
>
>   <dtml-var standard_html_header>
>   <dtml-var REQUEST>
>   <dtml-var standard_html_footer>
>
> This works fine on 2.1.4+ -- they only suppress the "direct traversal" of
> REQUEST.

Additionally, I would suggest removing the "Acquire Permissions Settings" from the
"View" permission, and making the "View" permission only available to managers.

This is easy to do, assuming you called the DTMLMethod above "debug_request" and
created it in your Zope Site Root, then you could:

1. Navigate to http://mysite.com:8080/debug_request/manage_access
2. Scroll to the bottom of that long page.
3. Uncheck "Acquire Permissions Settings" next to the "View" Permission/
4. The "Manager" box should already be check, verify this.
5. Click the "Change" button near the bottom of the permission list.

Forgive me if I over-explain.

Drew