[Zope] Local FS

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 18:37:24 GMT

Kevin:

>     I agree that RIPP, and the ability to use ZClasses as Pluggable Brains
> for SQL Methods, will make a big difference in making underlying storage
> transparent. I'm trying to incorporate RIPP into my thought patterns as I
> design new apps so that I can take advantage of multiple backend stores for
> things.

It's so young and new that it's hard to incorporate in my thought process,
but I'm working on it too.

>     My plan for this is that I would store things that do not require
> frequent writing in the ZODB. I think the ZODB is very easy to work with and
> pretty fast.

I *totally* agree.

> For things that do need frequent writing, I would give those
> objects a separate propertysheet for those attributes and store them in an
> RDBMS. I think this would be a really clean, maintainable and scalable
> model. The nice thing about this also is you could always start with a full
> ZODB implementation of those attributes and then migrate to RDBMS later on.

Which is really what this is.  A growth issue.

> Would I be able to implement this today? Nope, I don't have enough ZPatterns
> and propertysheets Zen yet.

Ditto.

>But, I think it looks like a great way to go.
>
>     BTW, when I say "frequent writing" above, I should really say "frequent
> updating". I think a discussion area would be just fine to store in the
> ZODB, because objects keep getting added, not updated.

You bet.  If it's all about appending, ZODB functions well there too.

>On the other hand,
> keeping track of banner ad views should be done in some other data storage
> area (RDBMS, file system).

Large files and frequent updates, double whammy.

I have a question for Phillip Eby and Ty Sarna.  Is there going to be a
migration path for translating existing data stored in traditional
propertysheets to the ZPatterns framework?  Everyone is using
propertysheets at some level right now, and many of us are using them to
store isntance data in a hefty amount.

Inqusitively,

Jason Spisak
CIO