[Zope] Local FS

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 14:47:36 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Spisak" <444@hiretechs.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>
Cc: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Local FS

> I have a question for Phillip Eby and Ty Sarna.  Is there going to be a
> migration path for translating existing data stored in traditional
> propertysheets to the ZPatterns framework?  Everyone is using
> propertysheets at some level right now, and many of us are using them to
> store isntance data in a hefty amount.

I'm not Philip or Ty, and I don't play them on TV, but I thought I'd speak
up anyway :)

ZPatterns, as far as I can tell, is really *just* a framework. I don't say
that to lessen Philip and Ty's contribution, because it looks like a great
framework. But, I think the idea is that the framework doesn't necessarily
provide all sorts of really high level features. I think the idea is that
you can use these design patterns in your own designs to make your code more
flexible.

I think everyone's requirements will be different and a generic solution
will be difficult. I think it more likely that if you're migrating from
having a particular propertysheet stored in the ZODB to storing it in an
RDBMS or in the file system, you'll probably need to whip up a PythonMethod
or something to migrate the data. It's really not very difficult...

(Anecdotal evidence: the articles on Byproducts.com came into existence
before ZClasses. They were stored as Folders with various properties. Then,
ZClasses came along and I wrote KM|net News. I believe I used a DTML method
to pull the data from the Folder objects and create new KMArticle objects.
It wasn't very difficult, and I expect to do the same thing any time I make
a significant shift in storage methods...)

Kevin