[Zope] Serving and Searching PDF's and Word Docs

Ian Sparks isparks@wmute.u-net.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 01:54:40 +0100

> > What about searching the documents ?
> As mentioned above normal RDBMS will propably have some restrictions.
> I cannot image how to search a document within an RDBMS for a special
> word or phrase.

Well, if the data is stored in a text or BLOB field then you can do a SELECT
* FROM TABLE1 WHERE X IS LIKE '%searchterm%'.

There ARE problems with BLOB's in most RDBMS' but you could :

1. Store you raw data (the document) as a Binary Large Object (BLOB).
2. Store a set of separate records which are the search terms on your
objects :

tblDocs
ID            DOC
1              <FILE INSERTED>
2              <FILE INSERTED>

tblTerms
TERM          ID
marketing  1
sales          1
germany    1
software    2
microsoft   2
halloween  2

There's a lot of redundancy in this method but it can be done.

- Ian Sparks.