[Zope] Local FS

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
4 May 2000 23:09:58 GMT

On 2 May 2000 14:15:02 -0500, Jason Spisak wrote:
>Jonothan:
>
>I'm not sure if you have been folowing the thread between Michael B. and
>myself, but I would love your insight.
>
>How far away from being an alternative form of storage for Zope is LocalFS?
> I'm talking ZClass instances mostly.  A robust data storage facility for
>Zope objects in files rather than a sigle large file.  With the RIPP
>(ZPattern and the like) the backend is going to cease to make a difference
>to propertysheets, and having the local filesystem (XFS/ReiserFS) for write
>intensive stuff is a must have for Zope.
>
>Just wondering what your opinion on it is.

As long as the data is *only* changed from inside Zope, it shouldn't
be a large problem. I wrote a few dumb 'LocalFS'-type file-system
products which are queryable (and mineable) and also return ZRDB
Results objects, including a couple of folderish directory classes
which can be easily walked via dtml-tree.  However, there is a big
problem with object caching if you plan on a: caching and b: updating
via the filesystem.  I never did figure a way around those problems.